Please note a website outage is scheduled for Thursday 11 July from 6-8am. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Whakapā mai

Contact us

Send us an enquiry, check the locations of our science centres, make an Official Information Act request and find answers to frequently asked questions. NZ Police, please note the preferred email address below.

Our Science

Contact us

Contact information for New Zealand Police only

For case work and urgent queries, please call 0800 FORENSIC (0800 367 36742, on call 24/7) 

For general enquiries, please email (monitored working days only)


How do I apply for a job at ESR?

ESR advertises all available career opportunities on SEEK, Linkedin and via our website. If you are interested in a position at ESR, but there are none currently advertised that suit your skills and qualifications, please register via the Introduce Yourself function on Workday.

How often are the health dashboards on the ESR website updated?

The health dashboards on the ESR website are updated weekly. 

Who can help me with questions relating to toxicology samples?

For toxicology enquiries, please email

Can I ask ESR for information about a criminal case?

ESR cannot provide information about Police matters to members of the public. Please contact your local Police station for matters relating to toxicology, DNA profiling, and other case-related queries.

Does ESR analyse workplace drug tests?

Yes. For Workplace Drug Testing enquiries, please email

Can ESR provide information about a family member's DNA sample?

No, ESR does not provide private DNA analysis.

Does ESR test food samples?

Yes. For Food Testing enquiries, please email

Can ESR identify unknown substances in food?

Yes, our Food Chemistry team can conduct a forensic investigation into unknown substances found in food manufacturing processes. Please contact for more information.

Can ESR provide information about my COVID-19 test results?

No, please send any COVID-19 public health queries to Te Whatu Ora at

OIA requests

OIA requests

The Official Information Act 1982 (OIA) helps anyone in New Zealand access information held by Ministers and government organisations, including ESR. You should make your request directly to the entity you think holds the specific information you want, or that is most closely related to the topic of your request. If you think that is ESR, please contact OIA& 

Email us

Media requests

Media enquiries

We welcome media enquiries about ESR’s work and endeavour to reply to all questions we receive. Where possible we may be able to provide expert comment or interviews with our scientists and technicians. Gett in touch with our media team at 

Email us